The time to say goodbye to another long, hot summer is quickly approaching. As part of our annual feature posts on events taking place in San Antonio, Austin, and the Central Texas region we are proud to present our list of the the top 9 central Texas Labor Day 2012 events. As is customary we’ve scoured the web for the top celebrations and ranked them for you. This year’s list sees quite a mix up in the line up, with San Antonio moving from #9 last year to #1 this year. If you enjoy these posts, we invite you to subscribe to our RSS feed to stay up to date on what’s going on around Central Texas over the biggest holidays of the year. Here are our picks for Labor Day Weekend events in San Antonio, Austin, and Central Texas.
The People in Español Festival – San Antonio, Texas
- San Antonio generally fizzles when it comes to big holiday festivals, but People magazine’s festival this year at the alamodome aims to put San Antonio on the map, as far as holiday festivals are concerned. This Labor Day People magazine will be bringing a plethora of Latino stars to the Alamodome for an enormous 2 day event celebrating the city’s Latino culture. Scheduled to appear are 3BALLMTY, Armando Correa, José Fernandéz, Larry Hernandez, María Marín, Los Recoditos Band, Kika Rocha, Prince Royce, Tito “El Bambino”, Jeannette Torres, Daddy Yankee, and Luis Miguel, among others. Prices for both days range between $97 – $799.
Central Texas State Fair – Belton, Texas
- Belton, Texashosts the Central Texas State Fair from August 31st through September 2nd, and this year, the fair has jumped from #8 to #2 on our list based on its stellar line up of Texas musicians, affordability, and activities offered. Texas music stalwarts Stoney LaRue (Aug. 31), Aaron Watson (Sep. 1), and the Casey Donahew Band (Sep. 2) will be headlining each day of the event with tickets priced at an affordable $8 per show. In addition the fair features Pro Bull Riding (extra cost), a carnival, livestock show, Mutton Bustin’ Championship for kids 4-7 years old as well as food and gifts from local vendors. Tickets are only $7 dollars. Needless to say, a pretty impressive lineup for our friends up in Belton and Bell County.
Josh Turner (Sep. 1) & Lyle Lovett (Sep. 2) @ Austin City Limits – Austin, Texas
- Ok, while these two events are separate, they are being held in Austin at Austin City Limits on back to back nights, so we’ll call it a festival and leave it at that. Country star Josh Turner’s performance on Saturday September 1st will benefit the OM Foundation and Dell Children’s Hospital. Josh has 5 studio albums to date and multiple #1’s on the Billboard charts as well as 2 Platinum albums. Tickets range from $39 – $69 for Mr. Turner’s concert. On Sunday, Texas music legend Lyle Lovett brings his unique style to Austin City Limits. Don’t miss this 4 time Grammy award winning popular music legend live on stage. Tickets for Lyle Lovett range from $39 – $89. Both shows are likely to sell out so get your tickets ASAP!
West Fest Polka Festival – West, Texas
- West Fest, one of Texas’ largest polka festivals, is back for Labor Day 2012. This annual celebration of Czechoslovakian culture and influence in Texas features nightly Polka concerts, a kolache bake-off, carnival, polka dancing, authentic food and drink, arts & crafts, souvenirs, the miss westfest pageant and a preview party on Friday August 31st with Texas Country Musicians John Slaughter, Kyle Bennett, and headliner Wade Bowen. This annual event routinely brings in 20,000 plus visitors so come early and stay late.
Luckenbach’s Labor Day Weekend Concerts – Luckenbach, Texas
- Luckenbach never disappoints when it comes to the big holidays, and 2012 is no different. The fun starts with free music on Friday August 31st at 1 p.m.Luckenbach with T-Roy and Candace Miller, Sol Patch performs at 4 p.m., and Jason Allen will be playing a free show in the evening starting at 8 p.m. On Saturday the Rankin Twins will be playing a free show at 1 p.m. and Texas Country superstars Jason Boland and the Stragglers will perform at 8 p.m. as the main event. Sunday Micky and the Motorcars will be making a triumphant return to Luckenbach after the tragedy from earlier this year in which they lost their bassist prevented them from performing on Memorial Day. Tickets for Saturday and Sunday night’s shows will be $20 per show.
Kerrville Wine & Music Festival – Kerrville, Texas
- If a weekend of beer, wine, and folk/country music is your cup of tea, then Kerrville’s annual Wine & Music Festival is the place to be this Labor Day Weekend. In years past this festival has been all about wine and music, but starting in 2012, the festival will be adding a brewfest! All three nights feature 5 concerts from musicians from Texas and beyond, and afternoon concerts start at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. For a full list of schedule performers visit the Kerrville Music home page below. Tickets range from $30 pre-sale on Friday to $35 pre-sale on Saturday and Sunday. Prices jump $5 if purchased at the gate.
Palomino Fest & Pro Rodeo – Uvalde, Texas
- Uvalde’s Labor Day holiday festival is taking a step forward this year with a carnival, BBQ cook-off, concerts, a pro rodeo, pig racing, a ventriloquist show, and a Grand Parade at 10 a.m. on Saturday September 1st. Uvalde’s Grammy award winning musicians “Los Palomino’s” will be headlining the event on Sunday, and Palomino Fest will feature continuous live music from Friday through Sunday. World famous rodeo clown, Leon Coffee will be grand marshall of the parade.
Celebrate Bandera 2012 – Bandera, Texas
- Bandera, Texas, a.k.a. “Cowboy Capital of the World”, is back with its annual Celebrate Bandera festival this Labor Day weekend. Voted one of the top 101 western events by American Cowboy Magazine, Celebrate Bandera brings a rodeo, re-enactments, a parade, arts & crafts contests, local vendors, a wild west gun show, and plenty of other activities to event visitors. So if you’re a cowboy or you like the cowboy lifestyle, Celebrate Bandera is the place to be this Labor Day Weekend.
Kendall County Fair – Boerne, Texas
- For over a century Boerne, Texas has been hosting the Kendall County Fair with great success. In 2012 Boerne looks to continue that tradition with this 4 day event packed with rodeo events, a mutton bustin’ competition for the kids, a carnival, and live music on Saturday and Sunday. Tickets are $15 per day, $5 for active military (with ID), and free for kids 12 and under. Visit the Kendall County Fair Association’s homepage below for an exact schedule and more details.
Oatmeal Festival – Bertram/Oatmeal, Texas
- Oatmeal & Bertram, Texas team up each year for the Oatmeal Festival on Labor Day Weekend. This year marks the 35th anniversary of the festival and features a pretty zany lineup of fun, food, and family entertainment. Perhaps the zaniest thing about this festival, is that every event starts 3 minutes after the hour. On Friday, the festivities kick off with a BBQ Dinner at Oatmeal Community Center at 5:03 p.m. Later that evening the Miss Oatmeal Pageant takes place. The bulk of the fun takes place on Saturday with a trail ride, fun run, family friendly live music, a pet parade, a Grand Parade, food court, arts & crafts, wacky food based games, and a concert in the evening by Texas Music Entertainer of the Year Pauline Reese. Saturday’s events start off at 8:03 a.m. and the closing concert starts at 9:03 p.m. so come early and stay late. And, maybe, you’ll find out just what the signifigance of the 3’s are.
Whitewater Amphitheater Concerts – New Braunfels, Texas
- New Braunfels’ Whitewater Amphitheater will be hosting two starkly contrasting concerts this Labor Day Weekend. Perhaps the only thing tying them together at all are the fact that both headliners hail from the Lone Star State. On Friday alternative rock group, the Toadies, will be headlining “Dia de los Toadies”, a one day rock festival. Also featured are Mariachi El Bronx and Helmet along with 7 other bands.
Sunday brings Central Texas musician Randy Rogers to the Amphitheater. Rogers, who gained fame in San Marcos will bring his brand of Texas country to Whitewater. Turnpike Troubadors will play support for the headliner. More info is available on the Whitewater homepage.
Other Labor Day 2012 Events in Austin, San Antonio and Central Texas
For additional events and activities going on in the Austin, San Antonio and Central Texas area, please follow the links below:
- Free Day of Yoga – Austin, Texas
- Austin Cup Soccer Tournament – Austin, Texas
- End of the Summer Labor Day Bash/Car Show Austin, Texas
- Canoe 100 Mile Marathon – Bastrop, Texas
- Ghostly Labor Day Weekend – Castroville, Texas
- San Antonio Labor Day Baseball Tournament – San Antonio, Texas
- SARR Whine run – New Braunfels, Texas
- Vereins Quilt Guild of Fredericksburg Biennial Quilt Show – Fredricksburg, Texas
- Tarpley VFD Annual BBQ – Tarpley, Texas
Austin Foundation Repair and San Antonio Foundation Repair by SFR
Superior Foundation Repair is the original Austin Foundation Repair, San Antonio Foundation Repair, and Central Texas Foundation Repair Steel Pier Foundation repair specialist. As a local business with offices in both Austin and San Antonio Superior Foundation Repair proudly supports local merchants. Our Lifetime Warranty means you’ll never have to worry about your foundation shifting again. That’s how confident we are in the service and product we prove to our customers. We offer free foundation inspections for homeowners. If you observe some of the Typical Signs of Foundation Problems, get in touch with us to schedule your free inspection.
Stay safe on Labor Day Weekend 2012, and enjoy the last long weekend before the end of summer.