Enjoy the 2014 Memorial Day Weekend in Central Texas
Whether you are in the mood for music, great food, exercising, raising money for charities, swimming, parades, patriotic concerts, or just hanging out, Superior Foundation Repair has you covered with our list of 13 ways to spend your Memorial Day Weekend in Central Texas. We’ve scoured the internet for the best and most family friendly events taking place this Memorial Day Weekend and put them together. Feel free to browse the map and read about the event details below. You can filter by category or county below. We hope you have a safe weekend and enjoy this unofficial start to summer.
View 2014 Memorial Day Weekend Events on a map
Sort Events on 2014 Memorial Day Weekend by Category or County
Memorial Day in Luckenbach – Luckenbach, Texas
Details: Luckenbach, Texas will be hosting several concerts and an Ice Cream Social over the Memorial Day Weekend. On Friday Wade Bowen and the Roosevelts will be performing. On Saturday night come out for a Don Williams Tribute with Thomas Michael Riley. Sunday, bring the kids for an Ice Cream Social from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Kids 12 and under are free to all 3 events.
Site: Memorial Day in Luckenbach
Fredericksburg Crawfish Festival 2014 – Fredericksburg, Texas
Details: The Fredricksburg Crawfish Festival is back for Memorial Day weekend in 2014. Enjoy Crawfish and other Cajun food, Zydeco and Country music, unique activities, and fun for the whole family. From Friday evening through Monday afternoon music, food and a carnival are planned. Friday’s headliner is Jody Nex and the Texas Cowboys, and on Saturday, Texas Country Star, Cory Morrow will take the stage. As always, you could always head on over to Luckenbach if those performers aren’t your cup of tea.
Site: Fredericksburg Crawfish Festival 2014
11th Annual Memorial Day Ceremony at Sun City Texas – Georgetown, Texas
Details: Georgetown will honor our fallen soldiers with concerts by the 36th Infantry Division Band of the Texas Army National Guard on Sunday at 7 p.m. The second concert will be at their annual ceremony on Monday at 9:30 a.m. which features Texas senator Dr. Charles Schwertner as the guest speaker and a fly over to be performed by a formation flying team from the Lone Star State.
Site: 11th Annual Memorial Day Ceremony at Sun City Texas
Carry the Load – Austin Memorial March 2014 – Burnet, Texas
Details: Carry the Load, is an organization dedicated to honoring our country’s fallen as well as active service men and women. Participants in the Austin Memorial March are encouraged to carry backpacks on this 20.14 mile march through the Texas Hill Country. Before the march begins, DPS will be demonstrating their capabilities with a simulated iterdiction of a narcotics smuggling operation. While there is no dedicated childcare area, there will be food, beverages, music and children’s activities available at the base camp throughout the day.
Live Oak’s Memorial Day Parade & Summer Splash – Live Oak, Texas
Details: Live Oak, Texas has two events scheduled for the Memorial Day weekend. A parade on Saturday will end with a short ceremony honoring veterans and those who have given their life in service. Refreshments will be provided during the ceremony. On Monday, summer officially arrives with the Summer Splash Party at the opening of the Live Oak community pool. The Party starts at 3 and is expected to be sold out shortly thereafter. In addition to cooling off poolside Summer Splash features refreshments, music, and prizes.
Site: Live Oak’s Memorial Day Parade & Summer Splash
2014 Kerrville Folk Festival – Kerrville, Texas
Details: Memorial Day in Kerrvile means folk music and fun for the whole family. This 2.5 week festival will kickoff on Thursday evening and get into full swing on Friday with Brother Sun, Tish Hinojosa, Judy Collins, and Baskery scheduled to perform. On Saturday notable performers include Tom Prasada-Rao, Butch Morgan, and Eric Schwartz among others. A full program is available on the official website. For the kids there will be activities, arts and crafts, and music in the “Kids-Ville” area of the festival.
Site: 2014 Kerrville Folk Festival
Autism Speaks 8k Run & 1k Fun Run – Austin, Texas
Details: Help raise money for autism research at the Autism 8k on Sunday May 25th. This 8k is back for the second year after being named the “Best new Running Race in 2013” in Austin by the Austin-American Statesman. There will be prizes for the winners in each division as well as medals for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers. In addition a 1k, kids Fun Run is also scheduled. All proceeds will go towards Autism research.
Site: Autism Speaks 8k Run & 1k Fun Run
45th Annual Fiesta Amistad – Round Rock, Texas
Details: Fiesta Amistad is back again in 2014. Round Rock’s 45th annual Memorial Day Fiesta Amistad features music, entertainment, food, arts & crafts, and family activities. Also back for its 4th year is the El Amistad Car Show on Saturday. Children 12 and under receive free admission to all the festivities.
Site: 45th Annual Fiesta Amistad
RAM PRCA 31st ANNUAL PRO RODEO 7th Annual “Get Your Cook-On” Cook-Off – Bandera, Texas
Details: Bandera welcomes the RAM PRCA 31st Annual Pro Rodeo back to town on Memorial Day weekend. The town goes all out for rodeo attendees and this year will continue that tradition with the 7th installment of the “Get Your Cook-On” Cook-Off, a trail ride, and a Memorial Day Parade. Children can participate in mutton bustin’, stickhorse races, or a calf scramble in addition to other kid friendly activities.
Site: RAM PRCA 31st ANNUAL PRO RODEO 7th Annual “Get Your Cook-On” Cook-Off
4th Annual American Hero 25k Relay – San Antonio, Texas
Details: For the fourth year in a row the American Hero 25k Relay will take place in San Antonio. This race, sanctioned by USA Track and Field, will feature cash prizes for best time in each adult division as well as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place medals. It appears that there will be entertainment as well, but please contact the event organizers to confirm.
Site: 4th Annual American Hero 25k Relay
Whitewater Amphitheater – Memorial Day Weekend Concerts – New Braunfels, Texas
Details: Whitewater Amphitheater in New Braunfels is quickly becoming one of the premier locations for concerts in Central Texas. This year’s Memorial Day Weekend line up includes the Josh Abbot Band, Roger Creager, William Clark Green and The Wind and the Wave on Saturday evening. Sunday, local favorites, the “Spazmatics” take the stage for their usual antics. For tickets visit the Whitewater website listed below.
Site: Whitewater Amphitheater – Memorial Day Weekend Concerts
Life Time Tri CapTex – Austin, Texas
Details: The Life Time Cap Tri Cap Tex race is scheduled for Memorial Day Weekend in Austin, Texas. The event will take place in Austin starting with a free expo on Sunday at the Palmer Events Center. On Monday at the Palmer Events Center, the Finish Festival is where athletes and spectators mingle before, during, and after the race.
Site: Life Time Tri CapTex
4th Annual Blue Bell/Bluegrass Classic Car Show & Festival – Llano, Texas
Details: Llano’s 4th annual Blue Bell & Bluegrass festival returns on Memorial Day Weekend. Llano’s festival features great music from Bluegrass bands, a classic car show, and free Blue Bell Ice Cream on Saturday. Additionally there will be food and activities for the entire family.
Site: Blue Bell/Bluegrass Classic Car Show
RETURN of the Chili Queens Memorial Day Weekend Celebration – San Antonio, Texas
Details: The City of San Antonio presents the Return of the Chili Queens. The air force’s Band of the West will perform a patriotic concert, additionally there will be live music, vendors, shopping, and chili at this celebration.
Site: RETURN of the Chili Queens
The time to say goodbye to another long, hot summer is quickly approaching. As part of our annual feature posts on events taking place in San Antonio, Austin, and the Central Texas region we are proud to present our list of the the top 9 central Texas Labor Day 2012 events. As is customary we’ve scoured the web for the top celebrations and ranked them for you. This year’s list sees quite a mix up in the line up, with San Antonio moving from #9 last year to #1 this year. If you enjoy these posts, we invite you to subscribe to our RSS feed to stay up to date on what’s going on around Central Texas over the biggest holidays of the year. Here are our picks for Labor Day Weekend events in San Antonio, Austin, and Central Texas.
The People in Español Festival – San Antonio, Texas
- San Antonio generally fizzles when it comes to big holiday festivals, but People magazine’s festival this year at the alamodome aims to put San Antonio on the map, as far as holiday festivals are concerned. This Labor Day People magazine will be bringing a plethora of Latino stars to the Alamodome for an enormous 2 day event celebrating the city’s Latino culture. Scheduled to appear are 3BALLMTY, Armando Correa, José Fernandéz, Larry Hernandez, María Marín, Los Recoditos Band, Kika Rocha, Prince Royce, Tito “El Bambino”, Jeannette Torres, Daddy Yankee, and Luis Miguel, among others. Prices for both days range between $97 – $799.
Central Texas State Fair – Belton, Texas
- Belton, Texashosts the Central Texas State Fair from August 31st through September 2nd, and this year, the fair has jumped from #8 to #2 on our list based on its stellar line up of Texas musicians, affordability, and activities offered. Texas music stalwarts Stoney LaRue (Aug. 31), Aaron Watson (Sep. 1), and the Casey Donahew Band (Sep. 2) will be headlining each day of the event with tickets priced at an affordable $8 per show. In addition the fair features Pro Bull Riding (extra cost), a carnival, livestock show, Mutton Bustin’ Championship for kids 4-7 years old as well as food and gifts from local vendors. Tickets are only $7 dollars. Needless to say, a pretty impressive lineup for our friends up in Belton and Bell County.
Josh Turner (Sep. 1) & Lyle Lovett (Sep. 2) @ Austin City Limits – Austin, Texas
- Ok, while these two events are separate, they are being held in Austin at Austin City Limits on back to back nights, so we’ll call it a festival and leave it at that. Country star Josh Turner’s performance on Saturday September 1st will benefit the OM Foundation and Dell Children’s Hospital. Josh has 5 studio albums to date and multiple #1’s on the Billboard charts as well as 2 Platinum albums. Tickets range from $39 – $69 for Mr. Turner’s concert. On Sunday, Texas music legend Lyle Lovett brings his unique style to Austin City Limits. Don’t miss this 4 time Grammy award winning popular music legend live on stage. Tickets for Lyle Lovett range from $39 – $89. Both shows are likely to sell out so get your tickets ASAP!
West Fest Polka Festival – West, Texas
- West Fest, one of Texas’ largest polka festivals, is back for Labor Day 2012. This annual celebration of Czechoslovakian culture and influence in Texas features nightly Polka concerts, a kolache bake-off, carnival, polka dancing, authentic food and drink, arts & crafts, souvenirs, the miss westfest pageant and a preview party on Friday August 31st with Texas Country Musicians John Slaughter, Kyle Bennett, and headliner Wade Bowen. This annual event routinely brings in 20,000 plus visitors so come early and stay late.
Luckenbach’s Labor Day Weekend Concerts – Luckenbach, Texas
- Luckenbach never disappoints when it comes to the big holidays, and 2012 is no different. The fun starts with free music on Friday August 31st at 1 p.m.Luckenbach with T-Roy and Candace Miller, Sol Patch performs at 4 p.m., and Jason Allen will be playing a free show in the evening starting at 8 p.m. On Saturday the Rankin Twins will be playing a free show at 1 p.m. and Texas Country superstars Jason Boland and the Stragglers will perform at 8 p.m. as the main event. Sunday Micky and the Motorcars will be making a triumphant return to Luckenbach after the tragedy from earlier this year in which they lost their bassist prevented them from performing on Memorial Day. Tickets for Saturday and Sunday night’s shows will be $20 per show.
Kerrville Wine & Music Festival – Kerrville, Texas
- If a weekend of beer, wine, and folk/country music is your cup of tea, then Kerrville’s annual Wine & Music Festival is the place to be this Labor Day Weekend. In years past this festival has been all about wine and music, but starting in 2012, the festival will be adding a brewfest! All three nights feature 5 concerts from musicians from Texas and beyond, and afternoon concerts start at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. For a full list of schedule performers visit the Kerrville Music home page below. Tickets range from $30 pre-sale on Friday to $35 pre-sale on Saturday and Sunday. Prices jump $5 if purchased at the gate.
Palomino Fest & Pro Rodeo – Uvalde, Texas
- Uvalde’s Labor Day holiday festival is taking a step forward this year with a carnival, BBQ cook-off, concerts, a pro rodeo, pig racing, a ventriloquist show, and a Grand Parade at 10 a.m. on Saturday September 1st. Uvalde’s Grammy award winning musicians “Los Palomino’s” will be headlining the event on Sunday, and Palomino Fest will feature continuous live music from Friday through Sunday. World famous rodeo clown, Leon Coffee will be grand marshall of the parade.
Celebrate Bandera 2012 – Bandera, Texas
- Bandera, Texas, a.k.a. “Cowboy Capital of the World”, is back with its annual Celebrate Bandera festival this Labor Day weekend. Voted one of the top 101 western events by American Cowboy Magazine, Celebrate Bandera brings a rodeo, re-enactments, a parade, arts & crafts contests, local vendors, a wild west gun show, and plenty of other activities to event visitors. So if you’re a cowboy or you like the cowboy lifestyle, Celebrate Bandera is the place to be this Labor Day Weekend.
Kendall County Fair – Boerne, Texas
- For over a century Boerne, Texas has been hosting the Kendall County Fair with great success. In 2012 Boerne looks to continue that tradition with this 4 day event packed with rodeo events, a mutton bustin’ competition for the kids, a carnival, and live music on Saturday and Sunday. Tickets are $15 per day, $5 for active military (with ID), and free for kids 12 and under. Visit the Kendall County Fair Association’s homepage below for an exact schedule and more details.
Oatmeal Festival – Bertram/Oatmeal, Texas
- Oatmeal & Bertram, Texas team up each year for the Oatmeal Festival on Labor Day Weekend. This year marks the 35th anniversary of the festival and features a pretty zany lineup of fun, food, and family entertainment. Perhaps the zaniest thing about this festival, is that every event starts 3 minutes after the hour. On Friday, the festivities kick off with a BBQ Dinner at Oatmeal Community Center at 5:03 p.m. Later that evening the Miss Oatmeal Pageant takes place. The bulk of the fun takes place on Saturday with a trail ride, fun run, family friendly live music, a pet parade, a Grand Parade, food court, arts & crafts, wacky food based games, and a concert in the evening by Texas Music Entertainer of the Year Pauline Reese. Saturday’s events start off at 8:03 a.m. and the closing concert starts at 9:03 p.m. so come early and stay late. And, maybe, you’ll find out just what the signifigance of the 3’s are.
Whitewater Amphitheater Concerts – New Braunfels, Texas
- New Braunfels’ Whitewater Amphitheater will be hosting two starkly contrasting concerts this Labor Day Weekend. Perhaps the only thing tying them together at all are the fact that both headliners hail from the Lone Star State. On Friday alternative rock group, the Toadies, will be headlining “Dia de los Toadies”, a one day rock festival. Also featured are Mariachi El Bronx and Helmet along with 7 other bands.
Sunday brings Central Texas musician Randy Rogers to the Amphitheater. Rogers, who gained fame in San Marcos will bring his brand of Texas country to Whitewater. Turnpike Troubadors will play support for the headliner. More info is available on the Whitewater homepage.
Other Labor Day 2012 Events in Austin, San Antonio and Central Texas
For additional events and activities going on in the Austin, San Antonio and Central Texas area, please follow the links below:
Austin Foundation Repair and San Antonio Foundation Repair by SFR
Superior Foundation Repair is the original Austin Foundation Repair, San Antonio Foundation Repair, and Central Texas Foundation Repair Steel Pier Foundation repair specialist. As a local business with offices in both Austin and San Antonio Superior Foundation Repair proudly supports local merchants. Our Lifetime Warranty means you’ll never have to worry about your foundation shifting again. That’s how confident we are in the service and product we prove to our customers. We offer free foundation inspections for homeowners. If you observe some of the Typical Signs of Foundation Problems, get in touch with us to schedule your free inspection.
Stay safe on Labor Day Weekend 2012, and enjoy the last long weekend before the end of summer.
Cracks in walls allow water to seep in to sunken areas & basements
- As a child our house outside of Houston, Texas, had a sunken living room which was built about 3 feet below ground level. Every time we had considerable rain (several times per year in Houston), our sunken living room filled with dirty water, saturating our furniture. The problems worsened year after year, until we hired a foundation repair company to come out and repair our foundation. After the repairs, water seepage was effectively stopped. Water can ruin furniture in sunken areas, damage carpeting and flooring, and cause mold to form, leading to health problems.
- Is your home experiencing seepage? Read this article for a diy guide to identifying water seepage
The condition of your foundation directly affects the price of your home and oftentimes affects the status of your home’s eligibility for a loan from potenial home buyers.
“Foundation cracks and settlement problems are viewed as serious defect to a home. Most homeowners realize this and simply will not purchase a home unless proper repairs are made. In addition, many lending venues (FHA,VA,Conventional) simply will not lend on a home with these defects.” source: www.repairfoundation.net
- The FHA may categorize your house as a “Fixer-Upper” requiring the purchaser to get a special type of loan, subsequently lowering the value of the house. The VA has special guidelines pertaining to foundation repair this example details guidelines for a loan term of 30 years on a manufactured home:
“To be eligible for a VA loan term of 30 years, a manufactured home must be
The longer one waits to repair a foundation, the more repair will be needed in the future
- Logically, the more a foundation shifts the larger the cracks in walls and flooring become, thus the more the costs of repairing your house increase. Stop foundation problems early to avoid future headaches.
- Typical repair costs for repairing cracks
25% of homes across the United States will experience foundation shifting, a higher percentage can be expected in Texas due to the high concentration of expansive soil
“Expansive soils are present throughout the world and are known in every US state. Every year they cause billions of dollars in damage. The American Society of Civil Engineers estimates that 1/4 of all homes in the United States have some damage caused by expansive soils. In a typical year in the United States they cause a greater financial loss to property owners than earthquakes, floods, hurricanes and tornadoes combined.
Even though expansive soils cause enormous amounts of damage most people have never heard of them. This is because their damage is done slowly and can not be attributed to a specific event. The damage done by expansive soils is then attributed to poor construction practices or a misconception that all buildings experience this type of damage as they age.”
source – geology.com
Repairing your foundation and the damage associated with it can help you lower energy costs.
After reading Superior’s 10 signs of Foundation Problems it is easy to see how repairing shifted windows and cracks in a structure can affect energy costs.
- Percentage of energy lost from different areas of a home:
“Heat is lost to infiltration and air loss by over 3 times the amount it is lost due to ceilings. These categories generally stack up this way in terms of % heat loss in a home:
Infiltration / Air Leakage: 35%
Windows and Doors: 18%-20%
Floors and Below Grade Space: 15%-18%
- Perform an Energy Audit on your home to determine how much energy you are wasting
If you think your house is experiencing foundation problems then contact Superior Foundation Repair today for a free foundation repair estimate, if any are needed.
Further reading: article about how to properly maintain a foundation
Hands of Hope provide dinners for 800 Austin Families
On Saturday November 21, at the El Buen Samaritan Episcopal Mission 150 volunteers gathered to spread some holiday cheer to 800 families in need around the Austin area. The goodies handed out included Turkeys and ingredients for side dishes. Due to the economic downturn the number of families Hands of Hope were able to help was down from 1000 to 800 this year, while the number of requests from people in need increased by about 55% according to News 8 Austin.
Story from the Austin-American Statesman
Interfaith celebration of Thanksgiving
On Sunday, November 22nd, followers of more than a dozen faiths gathered at the 1st Baptist Church of Austin to celebrate Thanksgiving. Gatherers from both Christian and non-Christian faiths gathered together to give thanks in a multi-cultural, interreligious showing of solidarity. This year’s event marked the 25th anniversary of the interfaith celebration.
5 Interesting events on Thanksgiving day
ThunderCloud Subs Turkey Trot –
Austin Volunteer Orchestra live at Ruta Maya
- South Lamar
The Scabs @Antones
- Any time the Scabs play, it is a must see event
- Support Uncle Lucuis
Surly Joe & The Spice of Life Variety Hour @lazonarosa
- Tickets available at the door on the night of the show only
- La Zona Rosa
Superior Foundation Repair wishes you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving, and hopes you have a wonderful holiday.
Technorati Tags: foundation repair, 5 events, Austin events, Austin things to do, Austin Thanksgiving, list, thanksgiving, things to do list, austin foundation repair