Build Your New Home on a Solid Foundation
When Constructing a New Home or Remodeling
Follow these Tips
Another way to guard against foundation problems is to perform the necessary actions before, during, and after the construction of the new home. If you are planning on building or purchasing a new home, follow these tips to prevent future foundation problems.
Perform a Soil Evaluation
- Whether your new house is on pier and beam or concrete slab the foundation is its most important component. Do not try to save money by skimping on foundation construction. A soil evaluation must be performed before a proper foundation system can be designed.
Incorporate Proper Grading
- Be sure your builder incorporates proper grading, proper piering for your soil conditions, proper drainage, waterproofs the foundation, and installs a vapor barrier.
Install Proper Drainage Systems
- Include gutters and downspouts in your home plan.
Install Vapor Barriers when Needed
- Be sure that pier and beam foundations have vapor barriers installed and are properly vented.
Inspect your Foundation Yearly
- Conduct a yearly inspection of your foundation, driveway, and sidewalks. When drainage or other problems are detected correct them immediately. This is important especially during the first 6 – 10 years after the construction of a new house as it’s during this time the home experiences the greatest settling.